Boredomville
A boring place for a boring person

Friday, March 26, 2004

Dear Diary,
After almost one month, I finished entering all the required canned text. Finally. So this morning, after finishing up with the canned text I asked Bernard what I'm supposed to do, and he actually asked me to help out as a "lab technician" or something like that. The idea is that I help out in the lab. Of course, I was apprehensive. I mean what do they do in the lab anyway. So he decided to show me around the labs. He briefly explained what goes on around there, and what happens to the tissue sample they receive. He also gave a breif bio lesson, most of which I still remember from Sec 2 bio. I learnt that there are four different white blood cells, polys, lymphs, don't know what and don't know what. Oh well, information overload, couldn't remember most anything.

He outlined how the tissue sample slides are prepared and I got to look through a microscope at one of the slides. Okay that's nothing you might say. But that wasn't the end of my, um, tour. He then brought me to the experimental surgery area. That was where I got to see some rather disturbing body parts, preserved in formalin.
parts seen : the skull
what's so disturbing: skull of man hit by concrete block, axe, and whatever else I'd rather not know
parts seen : the tongue and oesophagus
what's so disturbing: the tongue and oesophagus of a man who choked on a fishball (the fishball was still in the oesophagus, all part of the exhibit)
parts seen : foetus
what's so disturbing: conjoined twins and others I chose not to look at
Other parts I got to see: lots of hand, arms, legs and feet, the heart, the kidney, the spleen, the pelvic bone, the brain, ovaries, breast (female). I don't quite remember if I saw the liver and the part of the large intestine. I also saw silicon breast implants, that I remember clearly...

He also showed me the pigs. I'd like to share more with you, however, I think some of the things I've shared are confidential. Ssshhhh... Don't tell anyone I told you. I think that's all for now. I'll write again later.

gina

anonymous @ 8:19 pm